Thursday, June 30, 2011

Good Neighbors = Good Business

One of the things that I enjoy most about this business is interacting with our guests. Probably the most often asked questions people have are "What's it like to run an Inn?" and "Why did you decide to do it?" In talking with other innkeepers, and from our own experience, I think it all boils down to doing what you love. I'll be honest, it's not a business that's going to bring in a windfall of cash. But, I think having the Waterstone Inn is a natural fit for our family. Denis (my father-in-law) founded an organization called Project Children that has been bringing kids from Northern Ireland to the United States for 37 years. In this time, the program has touched and changed the lives of over 20,000 children, as well as countless host families, volunteers, and supporters. So much so, that Denis (though he'll never offer this information) was twice nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. The most amazing thing about it is that Project Children all started here in little Greenwood Lake in Denis and Miriam's own home.
My husband Sean and his siblings Denis Jr., Maureen and Tara, literally grew up being hosts to visiting guests from Ireland. Whether it was a coordinator for the program or a homesick kid, each guest that found themselves in Greenwood Lake for the summer was taken under the wing of the Mulcahy Family. In doing so, the Mulcahy kids learned to give generously of their time, gained patience in dealing with people, and most of all grew up with an awareness of community.

All of these qualities are apparent at the Waterstone Inn. As a business we're active in the community. I'm the president of the Greater Greenwood Lake Revitalization Committee. We're helping to build the Greenwood Lake Merchants Guild. We're always on board to help out local fundraisers by donating nights at the Inn as raffle prizes. I've made my poor husband plant flowers in the rain and lift 50 pound hanging baskets onto the telephone poles in the Village. Why??? I often myself. The answer is simple, it's doing what you love, the satisfaction of knowing you're contributing to the community in a positive way, and believing in good karma. In my heart I know that all these things are not just good for the soul, but also good for business.

1 comment:

  1. wow lisa well said ! Who needs Anton's the Waterstone Inn really is your "Home away from Home!" it's the best and that is why people kepep coming back! (Hope it wasn't a room for me lol !)Margie x

    ReplyDelete